Roasted Carob Coconut Sugar Brownies
These brownies are so moist, lightly sweet and the perfect sweet fix on a baked goodness kind of day.
These brownies are made with ghee, coconut sugar, and banana flour (can also sub other gluten free flour of choice).
But first of all why carob?
Aside from the chocolate alternative benefits (some people are more sensitive to chocolate, headaches, digestion issues, etc. or to the caffeine in chocolate, etc.) Carob also has a natural sweet, rich depth to it's flavor. It has twice the amount of calcium compared to cocoa, is high in fiber and potassium and is naturally gluten free.
So with all of those added benefits, and it being sweet and enjoyable, of course you'd want to bake something yummy with it!
- 1/2 cup gluten free flour (used green banana flour)
- 6 tablespoon roasted carob powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 cup organic coconut palm sugar
- 1/2 cup room temperature ghee
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tsp organic vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350° F
- Grease an 8x8 pan
- Place flour, salt and carob powder in a bowl and mix. Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, combine butter and sugar and cream the mixture until fluffy and white. Add eggs and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Add dry ingredients. Beat just until wet and dry ingredients are combined. Scrape brownie mixture into prepared baking pan.
- Bake in metal pan – for about 25 minutes at 350° F
- When a toothpick inserted into center of baking dish comes out clean brownies are done. Try not to over-bake as brownies are supposed to have a soft, chewy centre.
- Remove from oven, and while still warm sprinkle with carob chips and spread evenly over brownies (once melted) if desired. Cool for at least 15 minutes before cutting. (also excellent topped with a little cold coconut cream!)
- Enjoy and share!!